Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oh, Well...

Today God used something to cause me to do a little soul searching.
My daily devotional today was in my Joyce Meyer book, New Day New You.
So here is what Joyce had to say...

Oh, Well
Whenever I find myself in a situation I can't do anything about, I have found that a good way to cast my care upon the Lord is simply say, "Oh, well."
Take, for example, the morning that Dave spilled his OJ in the car and got a little of it on my sweater. Immediately he said, "Devil, I'm not impressed." And I said, "Oh, well." So that problem was solved, and we pressed forward with the rest of our day.
Some things just aren't worth getting upset about, yet many people do. Unfortunately a large majority of Christians are upset, fretful, and full of anxiety most
of the time. It is not the big things that get to them; it is the little things that don't fit into their plans. Instead of casting their care and just saying, "Oh, well," they are always trying to do something about something they can't do anything about. On more than one occasion that simple phrase "Oh, well" has really helped me make it through.


I can get easily irritated... over the small things. I hate running late, I hate feeling like I'm being ignored, I hate feeling rushed... and so on. The devil sure knows how to push my buttons most mornings at my house. If you have a child, and you have to get them to school, and yourself off to work, then you probably know what I'm talking about. There have been countless times I have been on my way to work... thinking about everything I may have done/said wrong... countless times I have had to apologize to my child. This is something God has been digging into me about... and I have made some strides.
It is almost easier when things are too big for us to try to handle... things we have to let go and give to God. It is a relief to be able to say, "Here God, this one is all Yours!... it's too much for me to deal with."
It tends to be those smaller things that we try to take on and deal with, that we can drive ourselves crazy over. We so often think that we 'should' be able to handle this thing... or that thing. Why?!?
When we let those little things get to us... we sin. We tend to get angry and short tempered... or we get anxious and worry... (all sin!) Cease from anger and forsake wrath; fret not yourself-- it tends only to evildoing. Psalm 37:8

God tell us to cast all our cares on Him... no matter the size. There are no "I should be able to handle this." He can handle it.

My new focus and prayer for myself... to say "Oh, well" more. I don't need to sweat the small... or the big stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment